Wednesday 20 June 2018

LAWRENCE IS RIGHT

Early today I watched the video on Chess.com by Lawrence Trent relating to "Winning won games."
All he says in the video is correct and I am sure all chess players would agree with him.

Below is a rated game I played against Fritz on Monday night, I was very pleased with the win.

However when it came to move 37 I was unsure what to play, plus I was also getting tired, as I instinctively felt I was winning, I doubled and Fritz resigned.  

This has now become a very bad habit for me and I need to break it, as you cannot do this in human games.

Over the past few years I have played a huge number of games in rated play mode, and in many of them I have gained an advantage, but then I play  just one weak move and Fritz suddenly finds a way to force a draw, or turns the tables completely and I suddenly end up loosing a "won game."

Plus, when you play humans you can sometimes detect from your opponents "Body language" that you have a big advantage even though you have been unaware of it. The "Body language"  gives you a clue to look harder for the key move.

When you play a computer programme, there is no "Body language" clues given, though Fritz does try to bluff by doubling, if you refuse the double request you loose on the spot.
If you accept the double request you quite often can play on and manage to get a draw or sometimes even a win.

Fritz rating in the game below was set at 2398, my current rating in this playing mode is 2276





Danny King`s DVD on the Najdorf has been very useful.  He gives the line where black plays a5 on move 10.

In my games against Fritz, I have done quite well with this line on the occasions I could remember the correct continuations.

Some bad beatings have come my way, when I could not remember the best way to continue!




Ecc 12:12 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment